This Dr. Diesel™ Tech Tip is one of a number that we publish for the industrial engine community. It offers a quick and easy way to upgrade an AutoClutch PTO for a longer and less troublesome service life.
This Dr. Diesel™ Tech Tip follows on the heels of other Tech Tips we have published on Twin Disc, Rockford and AutoClutch heavy duty power takeoffs. For more information on how to maintain your AutoClutch power takeoff, see these Tech Tips:
- Tech Tip #130: How to Get More Life Out of Your AutoClutch Power Takeoff,
- Tech Tip #154: AutoClutch Power Takeoff Clutches, and
- Tech Tip #167: Twin Disc, Rockford and AutoClutch Power Takeoffs and Pulleys
Upgrading your AutoClutch PTO
Foley stocks clutch kits for the AutoClutch PTO. Our kits are very complete and include a new disc, new pressure plate, a pilot bearing (according to the engine model), and an alignment tool (for when you install the clutch). We also offer a greasable release throwout bearing which is a significant upgrade over the stock bearing your PTO came with.
The problem though has always been that the AutoClutch PTO lacks a removable inspection plate. As a result, the AutoClutch owner or user had a very hard time gaining access to the grease fitting on our new-style AutoClutch release bearing. Because of this, the improved bearing rarely got greased and the AutoClutch owner never got the full benefit of the improved bearing.
Here is the easy way to prolong the life of your AutoClutch HD1300D.
1) Install one of our new greasable throwout bearings onto the tower that holds the release bearing. This tower is located between the pressure plate / cover assembly and the PTO housing.
2) Drill a ¾ inch hole on the side of the AutoClutch housing near where the tower is located that holds the throwout bearing.
3) Rotate the engine by hand until you can see the throwout bearing’s grease fitting inside the housing. (You may need a flashlight.)
4) Take a rigid stainless steel clad grease hose and run it through your new hole and attach to the top of the grease fitting on the new bearing. You are now ready to grease what was formerly an inaccessible bearing. Your AutoClutch PTO will reward you for this with much longer service life.