Dr. Diesel™ helping you install an ignition coil
A lot of us played video games while in school and never picked up basic blue collar mechanical skills. Dr. Diesel™ has come to the rescue of you video game slackers. This Tech Tip shows you how to install an ignition coil without damaging it, your engine, or even yourself.
- Make sure the ignition key is in the off position and/or remove the battery cable from the battery. This prevents a bad hair day.
- Remove the coil wire from the coil tower.
- Remove all wires from the positive (battery) coil terminal.
- Remove all wires from the negative (distributor) coil terminal.
- Loosen the coil clamp and remove the existing coil. Install the new coil in the existing coil clamp and tighten in place.
- Connect the wires that were removed from the negative (distributor) terminal of your old coil to the negative terminal of the coil.
- Connect the wires that were removed from the positive (battery) terminal of your old coil to the positive terminal of the coil. NOTE: The positive coil terminal is where the ignition switch lead is connected.
- Push the coil wire into the oil tower making sure the boot is secure around the coil tower.