- Engine Products
- Exhaust Products
- Tech Tips, News & More
- Free Tech Tips
- #141 Deutz Diesel Engine Model 1013 Fuel Transfer Pumps
- #142 Ford 330 Industrial Engines: Identifying the Dorset and the Dagenham Models
- #143 How NOT To Seat the Piston Rings on Your New Ford 300 Industrial Engine; Cleaning Components When Swapping Accessories
- #144 Deutz 1011 and 2011 Timing Belt Tension
- #145 Installing an Electronic Governor: Five Easy Tips
- #146 Yanmar Engine Tag Locations
- #147 Running a Twin Disc/Rockford? Want It To Last Longer?
- #148: Ford Industrial In-Line 6 Cylinder Gas Engines: How to Tell Them Apart
- All Tech Tips
- Ask Dr. Diesel
- Industry Links
- Guides, Forms & Tags
- Company Info
- Contact Us
Oil filters: Capacity Counts
Help keep your engine running all day long - Tech Tip #23
Dr. Diesel recommends using the largest oil filter available. A high capacity filter means more oil and more filtering media. The added oil volume also helps if you are a quart or two low and pushing hard on a hot day.
Here are three easy upgrades:
- People running four cylinder Perkins diesel (models 4108, 4236, 4248) should switch from the four cylinder Perkins filters (Perkins P/N 2654403) to the six cylinder Perkins filters (Perkins P/N 2654407).
- People running four cylinder Ford industrials (Models 172, 192, LSG423, etc.) should upgrade from Ford P/N D9A2-6731-A (FL-1A) to a high capacity filter used as an option on Ford V-8”s (Wix P/N 51773
- People running 3 and 4 cylinder Deutz 912 diesels should switch to the larger 5 and 6 cylinder 912 Deutz oil filter.
If these are too large for your application consider switching to a remote filter location to get added room. Remote filter kits including all the lines, brackets, high capacity filters, etc. are available from our parts department.
In any case when you change filters fill the new filters full of the new oil to prevent a dry start up. (If the filter is empty, the engine must first fill it before it circulates in the lube oil system. This is now very important with these larger capacity oil filters.)
We take tech support seriously!
We hope that you will find this Tech Tip helpful. We believe that Tech Support matters and welcome your comments or suggestions.
Please email Dr. Diesel using our contact form or call us at 800.233.6539.