- Exhaust Products
- Ford Industrial
- Twin Disc, Rockford & AutoClutch
- Hurth & ZF Marine Gear
- Engine Governors
- Tech Tips & Video
- Free Tech Tips
- #170: All You Need to Know to Install a Deutz, Perkins or Deere Crankshaft
- #171: Deutz Head Gaskets: Composite or MLS?
- #172: A Five Point Checklist on Deutz Head Bolts and Torque Values
- #173: How to Remove a Perkins 4.108 Injection Pump in Two Easy Steps
- #174: Five Points to Keep in Mind When Overhauling a Deutz 1011 or Deutz 2011 Diesel Engine
- #175: Deutz 2011 Timing Belts; How to Remove the Plastic Cover on the Deutz 2011 Timing Cover When Changing a 2011 Belt
- #176: 120 Series Electric Actuator
- #177: Crankshaft Installation Tips
- #178: Deutz 1012/1013 Cooling System Service and Maintinence
- #179: Dr. Diesel's Turbocharger
- #180: EPA Tier 3 Deutz Engine Specs
- #181: Exhaust Purifier Installation Procedures
- #182: Hoof/Pierce Governor Instructional Guide
- #183: How To Install A Lucas CAV/Delphi Pump
- #184: How to Break-In a Remanufactured Deutz Engine
- #185: Installation Instructions for Complete Distributors (View PDF)
- #186: Isuzu Industrial Diesel Engine Serial Number Location
- #187: Notes on Installing Twin Disc/Rockford Power Takeoffs
- #188: Perkins Guide
- #189: Perkins Marine Power 4.108(M)
- #190: Turbocharger Installation Instructions
- Ask Dr. Diesel
- Free Tech Tips
- Company Info
- About Us
- FAQs & Policies
- Industry Links
- Contact Us
Cummins B Series Tachometers
Helpful guide on installing a tachometer in your Cummins B series Diesel - Tech Tip #55
Got a Cummins B series diesel but no tach? Surprisingly, lots of these B Series come out of the factory in truck and industrial applications without tachs. Our Dr. Diesel™ says that running a diesel without a tachometer is like driving at night without headlights. Sure, you can do it, but why? So here's the skinny:
First, pick up the following parts from Cummins:
|Tach Drive||DF 9013|
|Valve Cover, 6 Cylinder||3902605|
|Valve Cover Gasket||3902666|
From a Stewart Warner dealer, you'll need:
|Tach, 3500 RPM||9CWB994C|
From a speedometer shop, buy a standard speedo cable with .104 drive ends.
Installing Your Tach
Remove the oil filler tube assembly and install the plastic drive unit on the now exposed nut in the gear cover. Install the new valve cover, gasket, filler cap, and seal ring in place of the old filler hole-less valve cover. Hook the speedo drive cable to the drive and the tach sender unit (which can be mounted anywhere). Hook the wiring up between the sending unit and the tack, remembering always that the drive ratio is 0.5:1.
Please call with any questions. We stock Cummins B Series Service Manuals and supply them free of charge with our B Series engine overhaul kits.
We take tech support seriously!
We hope that you will find this Tech Tip helpful. We believe that Tech Support matters and welcome your comments or suggestions.
Please email Dr. Diesel™ using our contact form or call us at 800.233.6539.