- Tech Tips & Video
- Free Tech Tips
- #166: Block Heaters, Glow Plugs, and Immersion Heaters for your Perkins, Deutz or Ford Industrial Engine
- #171: Deutz Head Gaskets: Composite or MLS?
- #172: A Five Point Checklist on Deutz Head Bolts and Torque Values
- Tech Tip #173: How to Remove a Perkins 4.108 Injection Pump in Two Easy Steps
- Tech Tip #174: Five Points to Keep in Mind When Overhauling a Deutz 1011 or Deutz 2011 Diesel Engine
- Tech Tip #175: Deutz 2011 Timing Belts; How to Remove the Plastic Cover on the Deutz 2011 Timing Cover When Changing a 2011 Belt
- #170: All You Need to Know to Install a Deutz, Perkins or Deere Crankshaft
- Tech Tip #168: Deutz 1011 and 2011 Timing Belt Change Intervals; All You Need to Know About Deutz Timing Belt Change Intervals
- Tech Tip #167: Twin Disc, Rockford and AutoClutch Power Takeoffs and Pulleys
- Tech Tip #169: All You Need to Know About Deutz and Wisconsin Blowers
- Tech Tip #149: Deutz 1011/2011 Timing Belt Damage: Three Considerations in Replacing a Deutz 1011/2011 Timing Belt
- All Tech Tips
- Ask Dr. Diesel
- Free Tech Tips
- Company Info
- About Us
- FAQs & Policies
- Industry Links
- Contact Us
- eBay Store
Cummins B Series Tachometers
Helpful guide on installing a tachometer in your Cummins B series Diesel - Tech Tip #55
Got a Cummins B series diesel but no tach? Surprisingly, lots of these B Series come out of the factory in truck and industrial applications without tachs. Our Dr. Diesel™ says that running a diesel without a tachometer is like driving at night without headlights. Sure, you can do it, but why? So here's the skinny:
First, pick up the following parts from Cummins:
|Tach Drive||DF 9013|
|Valve Cover, 6 Cylinder||3902605|
|Valve Cover Gasket||3902666|
From a Stewart Warner dealer, you'll need:
|Tach, 3500 RPM||9CWB994C|
From a speedometer shop, buy a standard speedo cable with .104 drive ends.
Installing Your Tach
Remove the oil filler tube assembly and install the plastic drive unit on the now exposed nut in the gear cover. Install the new valve cover, gasket, filler cap, and seal ring in place of the old filler hole-less valve cover. Hook the speedo drive cable to the drive and the tach sender unit (which can be mounted anywhere). Hook the wiring up between the sending unit and the tack, remembering always that the drive ratio is 0.5:1.
Please call with any questions. We stock Cummins B Series Service Manuals and supply them free of charge with our B Series engine overhaul kits.
We take tech support seriously!
We hope that you will find this Tech Tip helpful. We believe that Tech Support matters and welcome your comments or suggestions.
Please email Dr. Diesel™ using our contact form or call us at 800.233.6539.