Hurth Warranty Considerations
Foley Engines supports ZF/Hurth marine transmission owners by stocking most Hurth mechanical marine transmissions, both new and factory remanufactured, in most ratios.
We are pleased to offer the following information on our warranty.
- New ZF/Hurth transmissions are warranteed by ZF for two years on a world wide basis. This makes a new transmission the best option for someone planning on extended cruising or selling their boat. ZF insists that in order to be covered by their warranty that a new damper plate be purchased at the same time the transmission is purchased.
- We warranty our factory remanufactured marine transmissions for 90 days, from date of invoice, subject to the following provisions and conditions. We will warranty remanufactured transmissions against defects in material or workmanship providing that a new genuine ZF OEM damper plate is purchased from us at the same time the transmission is purchased and that Foley Hytork fluid is exclusively used in the remanufactured transmission.
To help with the proper installation and operation we supply a Workshop Manual, Tech Tips from our web site and a container of our Hytork fluid free of charge with all of our remanufactured units.
See for example:
- Tech Tip #78: Hurth Marine Transmissions - The Ins and Outs of Service
- Tech Tip #106: ZF/Hurth Gears - A Dollar an Hour Gear?
- Tech Tip #59: ZF/Hurth Marine Coupler or Damper Plate 101 and
- Tech Tip #101: Hurth Gear Shift Position - A Warning.
We will warranty these remanufactured transmissions for pleasure craft use only, not for use in commercial, charter, or harbor launch service or one that is under- specified for the engine. For example, the Hurth HBW100, now called a ZF10, is not rated by ZF/Hurth for 50HP yet is frequently installed on a Perkins 4108 marine engines. Unfortunately, we will not warranty a ZF10 when installed with a 50HP Perkins unless an oil cooler is installed. This will bring the rating up to 50HP. Our warranty is limited to the original purchaser and is not transferable. The warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of a transmission we deem defective. In order that we are able to exam the failed transmission it must be shipped back to us without having been disassembled or altered with a sample of the used lubrication fluid in a separate, sealed container. The warranty does not cover labor, dockage fees, or any other claims or consequential damages.
The owner of the transmission must return the damper plate which was purchased at the time of the transmission sale when the transmission is returned for warranty evaluation.
Prior authorization from Foley Engines must be obtained before sending the transmission back. A Foley Engines Returned Goods Authorization Form must accompany the return and the RGA number must be written on the outside of the box.